A3 battery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A3 battery

A3 battery

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Perfect Project Manager

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

The Perfect Project Manager Empty
PostSubject: The Perfect Project Manager   The Perfect Project Manager EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 pm

I've been working while in the computer industry now meant for over 23 years. Duringthat instance, I've had the unfortunate circumstance to get results under manyincompetent project skippers. I don't mean the thought of incompetent as aninsult - it's this in the Information Concept industry, we tend topromote computer programmers, engineers and analysts to help management and supervisorypositions and additionally, well, just expect it to do well. I've never really understood how anyone can get a person who is usually trainedas a programmer to suddenly have the ability manage a project. That is needed years andyears of specialized training that they are just a good challenge manager, muchless an great one. In fact, Appraisal say, having managed our share ofprojects, that this are probably the downright hardest things anyone is capable of doing. Think of the skills was required to understand a project - what this means is the projectmanager must have sufficient programming, analytical, design and engineeringknowledge as a way to scope out what is get it done. Nowadays, ofcourse, comes an even more difficult part - the assignment manager must estimate whenit shall be done (and God allow him if he's wrong). He must then manage all ofthe most people and resources involved, keeping them at the correct tracktoward reaching the marked. If anything crops in place, the project manager musttroubleshoot in addition to correct it, quickly, before things step out of hand. So what are the things which make for a fine project manager? Takes Responsibility - An outstanding project manager completely realizes that heis responsible for all the project. You will not hear stuff like "that's Joe'sproblem" from her. Responsibility means to be the cause of something. The best projectmanagers do not have problem with saying "I made a mistake". The poor ones arealways in need of who made the fault. The worst project managers findanyone he or she can who can take that blame. Is in Control - One of the many absolute worst things which you can hear from aproject administrator was "you were designed to... ". Whenever I hear this particular from aso-called project manager I have to scream, "but you are all the projectmanager - it's your job to stay control". That's probably the crucial element point of the work manager and his primary duty. He orshe must be answerable for the project. Everything is required to be known at alltimes. Delays are understood and handled before they already have a major impact. Weak sections of the plan are firmed " up " with additional personnel and resources. Has a large a number of skills - Good job managers have an understandingof the different components of their undertaking. If programming is concerned, thenthey can program. If at all an engineering project, then that best projectmanagers understand design. This does not mean they're just excellent atthose tasks - this indicates they understand the ability, know the language of thetechnicians with a working knowledge on the fundamentals. This is essential because without that practical knowledge, a poor projectmanager will help make stupid errors and ask individuals to do things which usually are notpossible or practical. This really, in fact, a fundamental cause manyprojects fail - the project manager would not understand the project which will heis managing. This causes his visitors to lose respect for him, and sooner orlater the project spins unchecked. Understands people - The most impressive project managers do have no problemsworking with people. Ventures are estimated, analyzed, produced, created, documented, and done anything about by people at all of the levels. Therefore, if a projectmanager rule isn't followed well with people, he will be fighting a losing fight. This works on all directions at the organization board. A project managermust have the ability supervise his own people, work with consultants, take on hisboss, work with their boss's peers and boss, communicate with vendors andpossibly customers, and be able to communicate well enough with anyone to getthe project done. Manages time - This really especially important if some project manager is, likemost sufferers in information technology, managing countless project at atime. The project manager could be hit from all sides by conflicting goalsand pursuits. People will demand time out of your manager, and he must begood at applying time wisely. Perhaps the most significant things are: usemeetings shrewdly and appropriately, minimize having email (a real timewaster), steer clear of politics and plan well in avoiding a crisis (the worsttime waster for all). Understands when quick action is a good idea - Sometimes quick move isnecessary, and sometimes isn't. A good project broker understands whenan event is actually a crisis and within the next just someone attempting to create acrisis. Sometimes these have grown difficult to differentiate - but it surely can andmust be conducted. Acts quickly when required - When quick action is a good idea, a good projectmanager is not going to hesitate (at least not likely for long) and should what isnecessary. Understands when he is required to be ruthless and when he must employ a soft touch -There are instances when a project manager have got to act quickly and decisively, andthere are others when he is required to be a nice person. To illustrate, I managed aproject a long time ago which took extreme turn for the more painful. Iinvestigated and found out a consultant were doing his job. I just confrontedthe consultant, got back severe frame of mind and fired him right away. Theproject was soon back on courseon target. On the other grip, in one instance I recently found aconsultant was having severe personal problems and the was the cause ofsome slippage within the schedule. I immediately gave her 2 or 3 days offand the problems faded upon her return. Results in solutions, not problems - The duty of a project manager is usually to managea project such that it can be completed. It is not his job to build problems. Agood project currency broker understands this, and behaviors accordingly. Thus, he isalways applying solutions on his bosses desk, not more complications. Controls deviations - A celebrity, many managers love to be able to introducechange in projects since they get under way. This is required to be controlled or yourpeople will look like they are shooting for a moving target which isinvisible. It's hard to hit a target you will be know what that particular target is, and just as difficult to kick or punch something if it differences constantly. Sometimes aproject manager is required to be flexible - but those instances ought to be controlledand the reasons to get change understood. The real way of measuring a good project manager is straightforward - his projects getcompleted when specified, his people come to feel productive (they believe they will arecontributing to something worthwhile), and then the finished product (the resultof the actual project) is of premium.
Back to top Go down
https://a3-battery.forumotion.com

The Perfect Project Manager
Page 1 of 1